Welcome

I am addicted to cooking and baking. I love to find and make delicious recipes. Sometimes I create my own and I post them here. Other times I find a recipe and adapt it. I have posted those recipes here as well. Enjoy.

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

HONEY WHEAT OAT NUT BREAD





Ingredients:
2 Tablespoons Active Dry Yeast
2 Tablespoons honey or sugar
2 1/2 cups warm milk
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 Tablespoons honey
3 tablespoons canola oil
1 teaspoon salt
4 cups white whole wheat
1  to  ½  cups rolled oats
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cups chopped pecans



Directions:
Proof the yeast:  warm the milk to about 80 degrees..add yeast and 2 Tablespoons honey
Let sit in a warm place for about 5 minutes until the yeast begins to grow and bubble.  (I put a large pot with a little water on a burner on low, then I place my mixing bowl with the yeast mixture on top of that)


Meanwhile in another bowl combine the white whole wheat, sugar, salt and oats.

Once the yeast has proofed, add the oil, then the flour mixture. Use a mixer with bread hooks if you have them.  Add the honey.  Then slowly add the other flours and the nuts until the texture is smoother and pulls away from the bowl.

Place in a greased bowl (and grease the dough, too) Let rise in a warm place for about 1 ½ hours - until it gets to be about  1 1 ½ times its original size.

Divide into two balls and Place on a Greased baking sheet or just a baking stone. Pull the top taunt, carefully tuck the ends under and then carefully partially split with a knife down the center of the bread.

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.  Place the prepared dough in the oven and immediately turn the oven down to 375 degrees.  Bake for 20 minutes, then tent the loaves  with foil to prevent the crust from getting too hard and dark.  Bake for about 20 minutes more or until the bread is done all the way through.  (tap on the top with your fingers to see if it sounds hollow).  

No comments:

Post a Comment