Welcome

I am addicted to cooking and baking. I love to find and make delicious recipes. Sometimes I create my own and I post them here. Other times I find a recipe and adapt it. I have posted those recipes here as well. Enjoy.

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

LEMON TRUFFLE PIE


Lemon Truffle Pie – page 310 of “Pillsbury Baking Book”


I found this years ago in the Pillsbury Baking Book and it is the most delicious pie I have ever made.  It is creamy and delicious.  I make it when guests come for dinner and they rave over it.  It tastes so good, I am posting it because I want others to be able to experience the decadence.

Crust:
1 refrigerated pie crust for 9 inch pie crust (from 15 – oz. pkg.)

Filling:
1 cup sugar (I used Extra Fine Baker’s Sugar)
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
1 cup water
2 egg yolks, beaten
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
¼ cup lemon juice
1 cup vanilla milk chips
1 (8-oz.) pkg. cream cheese, softened

Topping:
½ cup whipping cream
1 tablespoon sliced almonds, toasted

-          Heat oven to 450 degrees.  Prepare pie crust for one-crust baked shell using 9-inch pie pan.  Prick crust with fork.  Bake at 450 for 10 to 14 minutes or until light golden brown.  Cool 10 minutes. 
-          In medium saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch and flour; mix well.  Gradually stir in water until smooth.  Cook over medium heat until mixture thickens and boils, stirring constantly.  Reduce heat; cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly.  Remove from heat. 
-          Blend about ¼ cup of hot mixture into egg yolks.  Gradually stir yolk mixture into hot mixture in saucepan.  Cook over low heat until mixture comes to a boil, stirring constantly.  Cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. 
-          Remove from heat; stir in butter, Lemon peel and lemon juice.  Place 1/3 cup of hot lemon mixture in small saucepan; cool remaining mixture 15 minutes.  Add vanilla milk chips to hot lemon mixture in small saucepan.  Stir over low heat just until chips are melted.
-          In small bowl, beat cream cheese until fluffy.  Add vanilla milk chip mixture; beat until well blended.  Spread over bottom of cooled, baked pie shell.  Spoon remaining lemon mixture over cream cheese layer.  Refrigerate 2 to 3 hours or until set.
-          In small bowl, beat whipping cream until stiff peaks form.  Pipe or spoon over pie.  Garnish with toasted almonds.  Store in refrigerator.
-          Yield 8 to 10 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment