Welcome

I am addicted to cooking and baking. I love to find and make delicious recipes. Sometimes I create my own and I post them here. Other times I find a recipe and adapt it. I have posted those recipes here as well. Enjoy.

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Crock Pot Lasagna







Crock-Pot Lasagna
This lasagna is easy to make and it layers remarkably well in the crockpot. The first time I made it I was surprised at how well it served up. This is a huge hit with the meat and cheese eaters in my family. The oven ready lasagna noodles made this a quick prep item. Surprisingly, the parsley preparation took longer than any of the other steps.
Ingredients
1 – 2 lbs. lean ground beef or ground turkey (depending on how meaty you want it)
29 oz can tomato sauce ( I used two 24 ounce jars or Prego 3 cheese sauce)
8 oz pkg. lasagna noodles, uncooked – oven ready (you can find these at Target – Market Pantry brand)
4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (I use the low fat 2% milkfat shredded mozzarella from Target)
1 1/2 cups cottage cheese
1 Large container ricotta (I use low fat)
1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
1 cup parsley (finely minced)
Italian Seasoning (to taste) McCormick’s Perfect pinch…it has oregano, basil and other Italian herbs
1 pinch Fennel seed (optional)
Onion Herb Mrs. Dash (to taste)
Garlic Powder (to taste)
Directions
1. Spray the inside of the crock-pot with cooking spray or use a Reynold’s slow cooker plastic liner
2. Brown the ground beef
3. Stir the tomato sauce in with the ground beef. Add the seasonings to taste.
4. Spread 1/4 of the meat sauce on the bottom of the crock-pot
5. Arrange 1/3 of the uncooked noodles over the sauce (I break them up so they fit better)
6. Combine the cheeses in a bowl. Add the parsley. Spoon 1/3 of the cheeses over the noodles.
7. Repeat these layers twice
8. Top with remaining sauce
9. Cover and cook on low for 4hrs (You can put it on High for the first hour)
10. Let the lasagna stand in the crock-pot with the lid off for at least 10 minutes
* Variation *
1. Add 1/2 cup additional shredded mozzarella cheese to the top of lasagna 5 minutes before serving

2 comments: