Welcome

I am addicted to cooking and baking. I love to find and make delicious recipes. Sometimes I create my own and I post them here. Other times I find a recipe and adapt it. I have posted those recipes here as well. Enjoy.

Tuesday, April 3, 2012


Chicken Alfredo and Rice Casserole, my adaption
Chicken Alfredo and Rice Casserole, my adaption. The flavors of Homemade Alfredo Sauce, Toasted Slivered Almonds, Chicken, Wild Rice, White Rice and Roasted Sweet Peppers all combine to make a scrumptious meal. My picky children even asked for seconds.
Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 25 mins Bake: 350°F 50 mins.



Ingredients
10 ounces Alfredo Sauce (see recipe below) or 10 ounces jar sauce and ½ cup milk
2 ½ cups cooked white rice or wild rice (I used 2 ¼ cups white, ¼ cup wild rice)
2 cups cubed cooked chicken ( I baked mine in water for 45 minutes at 350 degrees F.)
½ - 1 cup cup Roasted Bell Peppers (all colors)*
¼ cup slivered almonds, toasted (optional)**
1 tablespoon snipped fresh basil or 1/2 tsp. dried basil, crushed
1 cup soft bread crumbs (I made my own, by putting croutons through the
 food chopper and turning them into crumbs)
1 tablespoon butter, melted
Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In large bowl combine pasta sauce and milk (only add milk if using jarred sauce). Stir in rice, chicken, roasted sweet peppers, nuts, and basil. Transfer to 1-1/2-quart baking dish.
2. Bake, covered, 30 minutes. Uncover and stir. Combine bread crumbs and melted butter; sprinkle atop. Bake, uncovered, 20 to 25 minutes more or until heated through and crumbs are golden brown. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.  Serve with extra Alfredo Sauce. Casserole Serves 4.

Alfredo Sauce (recipe from the Roof Restaurant)
2 tablespoons melted butter
1 tablespoon diced onion (I eliminated the onion)
½ teaspoon chopped garlic
1 cup heavy cream (I used 1 ¾ cup heavy cream)
1 cup whole milk (I used ¼ cup 2% milk)
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese (I used about a cup)
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon white pepper (I used double that – season to taste)
1 – 2 tablespoons cornstarch (if needed)

In a small saucepan, melt butter and (sauté onions – if desired) and garlic for 3 minutes.  Add cream and milk.  Stir with a whisk and slowly add parmesan cheese once the cream and milk begin to bubble.  Keep stirring until cheese is melted.  Add salt and white pepper.  Makes 2 cups.
*Roasting Bell Peppers
Wash clean and slice peppers into wide strips
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Place on cookie sheet and roast at 350 degrees  for about 25 minutes, checking after 15 minutes.  Once roasted, remove from oven.  Let cool slightly, then chop them up.  (I used a food chopper for a few seconds)

**Toasting Slivered Almonds
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place slivered almonds in a single layer on a cookie sheet and place in oven.  Cook for 6 minutes, stirring after 3 minutes.  Remove from oven and let cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment